- The value of gross products of the province in 2014 was 299,101 miliard Rials. This amount for the whole country was equal to 11,487,170 miliard Rials and therefore the share of the province totals 2.6%.
- In 2014, the added value of the province in three important sections is as follows:
- 39,601 miliard Rials in agricultural, 80,789 miliard Rials in industry and mine and 178,711 miliard Rials in service section.
- The share of important economy sections in the added value:
- Agriculture: 13.2; industry and mine: 27; and services: 59.8
1. Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fishery
- There is 160 thousands hectares of farms and orchards in Hormozgan, 80 thousands hectares of which is under pressurized irrigation system.
- Hormozgan is ranked first in Iran in producing lemons and mangos, second in cultivation of bananas, and fourth in palm dates, citrus fruits, vegetables and onions, and fifth in tomatoes.
- The department of fisheries possesses 22 fishing ports and also owns about 4,500 vessels and small fishing boats. Almost 95 industrial sections are dependent on or associated with this department. Thus, the department of fishery plays an important role in the economy of Hormozgan. The total amount of Hormozgan fish hunting were nearly 217 thousand tons in 2014.
- Hormozgan has a great capacity to raise shrimp. 50 thousand hectares of ready farms with the generating capacity of 85 thousand tons, shrimp larvae raising centers, facilities for industrial and commercial fishing, and also fish farming in floating cages are among important capabilities of the fishery department. This department aims to identify the rearing potential of 200 thousand tons of fish growth in the cage.
- Another important capability of the fishery department is that almost 117 shrimp farms are active in the region and they cover the area of 1,400 hectares and produce 6,000 tons of shrimps.
2. Industry and Mine Section
- During recent decades, government has established big industrial projects and civil infrastructures, it has created free industrial and commercial zones (Kish and Qeshm with both commercial and industrial functions) and five other special economy zones. All these significant steps have paved the way for the development of Hormozgan industry and have promoted the province to the higher places among other 31 provinces in Iran.
- The number of industrial cities in mid 2015 was 14. Government has also approved and ratified 8 industrial zones for Hormozgan, including 4 active industrial zones with the area of 52 hectares and 4 with the area of 117 hectares which are under construction).
3. Services Sector (Transportation and Trade)
Hormozgan has four means of transportation: air, rail, land, and sea transportations. Actually it is a main hub that connects sea transportation to that of land and makes it as one of the most salient provinces in Iran in terms of commerce and other economic activities.
Hormozgan had various and multi-purpose ports. They have different functions, such as commercial ports, military ports, oil harbors and fishing ports. Each of them has enough capacity and the due infrastructures and facilities to load or unload any sort of cargo and container. Shahid Rajaee and Shaid Bahonar ports in Bandar Abbas are among the most significant, active and the busiest ports of Iran. Based on its nominal capacities and modern facilities and equipment, Shahid Rajaee port can play the key role in the development of marine transportation of the Persian Gulf region.
- The depths of docks are 17 meters and they can accommodate and moor various ocean going vessels. Even they can moor the seventh generation of container ships with the capacity of more than 140 thousand tons.
- The current function of the Shahid Rajaee port equals 2 million TEUs and in the near future, with the installation of 18 new super post-Panamax gantry cranes, the capacity will increase to 6 million TEUs. (ranked first in loading and unloading of containers in Iran; 87% of all the ports of the country)
- In 2014, this port was ranked 58 among the ports in the world.
- In 2014, the amount of cargo loading and unloading of Hormozgan ports was about 95 thousand tons.
- The total of the main railroad of Hormozgan is 1,266 km which is two-lane and the minor rail road is 164 km.
- The current capacity of Hormozgan rail freight transport is 14 million tons and it can be upgraded to 40 million tons.
- Hormozgan railway can transport passengers or carry freights and cargos and etc. This railway is connected to the Middle East and Qafqaz railways.
- The length of the province road network is 13,313 km.
- The length of the freeway and expressway is 636 km.
- In 2014, the amount of the freight and the number of passengers which were carried from these roads equaled to 22 million tons and 14 million individuals respectively.
Hormozgan has nine active airports. Bandar Abbas, Bandar Lengeh, Qeshm, and Kish are international airports that can transport freight and passengers.
In 2014, 37 thousand tons of goods, 3.7 million domestic passengers, and 411 thousand foreign passengers have been transported through Hormozgan airports.
Customs Duties in Hormozgan:
In 2014, the amount of export through Hormozgan customs duties offices was about 29.5 million tons with the value of 9.7 billion Dollars and the amount of import was 11 million tons with the value of 21 billion Dollars. The foreign transit through Hormozgan customs duties offices was 4.4 million tons of goods in the same year.
The custom duties in the country are ranked number one in terms of revenues from custom duties, export, import and foreign transit duties.